The Baum School of Art began in the summer of 1926 when Mrs.Blanche Lucas recruited Walter Emerson Baum, the noted Sellersville artist, to provide art instruction for 22 Allentown teachers. The following year, classes resumed on the third floor of the old Franklin Fire House which became the first home for the school. Since then, The Baum School of Art has moved on five occasions, each in search of more classroom space to accommodate the ever-growing number of students seeking art instruction.
In 1984, the late Donald Miller donated a parcel of land near Fifth and Linden Streets in Allentown that has become the home to The Baum School of Art. Three years later, a modern 15,000 square foot School and administration facility was constructed and opened to the community. At this point the school contained nine classrooms most dedicated to a specific art form such as photography, jewelry and metalsmithing, computer art, sculpture, painting and drawing.The David E. Rodale Gallery, located inside the main entrance of the School, provides a venue for a wide variety of art exhibitions. The work of students and local and regional artists greets about 6000 visitors each year.